- This event has passed.
2021 Spotlight on Natives Photo Contest
Thu, April 1, 2021 @ 8:00 am EDT - Mon, May 31, 2021 @ 5:00 pm EDT
Wherever you live, we invite you to share the beauty of native plants in your area. Send us your most inspiring photographs of individual native plants or native plants communities in either natural or garden settings and you’ll be entered to win a one-year ELA membership. The contest runs from April 1st through May 31st. ELA will include the winning images in the June issue of the ELA Newsletter and post winning photographs (with attribution) on ELA’s Facebook page and website throughout the year.
There is evidence that regularly spending time in nature benefits one’s mental and physical health and overall sense of well-being. Those benefits are especially important now – and a walk with your camera breaks no rules of social distancing. If Spring has not yet arrived in your area, why not spend time remembering warmer days by perusing your photos from past gardening seasons? You might discover some excellent contest entries in your collection!
Photo Submission Requirements
Photos should be a minimum of 1920 pixels wide with a file size of no more than 5 MB. Photos must be submitted in JPG, PNG, TIF, or JIF file format. Email contest submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo filename must include:
- Photographer’s name
- Plant name or garden description i.e., first_last_plant.jpg
- Photo filename plant sample: John_Coltrane_Kalmia-latifolia.jpg
- Photo filename garden sample: Sonny_Rollins_Stream-side_Garden.jpg
- The deadline for submission is 5:00pm, Monday, May 31, 2021.
- No limit to the number of contest photos submitted.
- Individual plants photographed must be native to the area in which the photo was taken.
Entry must identify plant and location where photographed.
- Submissions of native plant gardens or natural plant communities should include predominately native plants (more than one locally native plant). Entry must identify at least one plant and specify location where garden or native plant community was photographed.
- ELA Board Members or staff are not eligible to enter.
A panel of judges will choose an overall winner plus two honorable mentions per category.
All photographs remain the property of the photographer. By entering their photographs, contestants grant reprint permission to ELA. Photographs may be used for displays, publications, or education purposes of ELA. Photographers will be credited with each use.
First place winners in each category will receive a one-year Professional membership to ELA. If the winner has a current ELA membership, the membership will be extended for one year. Value $100.
Up to two additional photographs in each category will be recognized as honorable mentions and will win $50 credit for books in the ELA bookstore or ELA logo merchandise.
Prizes will be announced in the June issue of the ELA Newsletter and featured in an article and on the ELA website.
- ELA Office
- View Organizer Website